Monday, June 17, 2013

Was that a word I heard????? Nope, but close.

My sister came up to visit from Florida for a week recently.  I was pretty excited because I hadn't seen her in about a year and a half.  I had just found out I was pregnant with the baby when she moved.   JJ was only 16 months when she left.  I was looking forward to him seeing her, as well as her meeting the baby for the first time.   Well, needless to say, JJ acted like a (pardon my language) asshole the whole time she was here LOL. 
Her first day here, my mother wanted to take us out to TGI Fridays.   I decided to take JJ with me, since my mom doesn't see him often, and so he could get out of the house.  JJ always has issues being constrained.  He's good in public, as long as he has freedom to roam or do what he wants.  Well, being in a restaurant, that can't happen.  I had him on his booster seat and tried my best to occupy him with crayons, games with the sugar packets, etc...but, that helped for about 3 minutes.   He kept whining and tried to slide out of his seat to the floor or would try to stand and crawl over the table.  I'm usually pretty good at controlling him when he acts up.  I don't scream at him or beat him or anything, but I am very firm with him when he acts up, and he always calms down and listens.   This was not one of those times.   Thankfully the place wasn't too busy.  I know this is something I need to adjust to, but it drives me crazy that I can't sit down and eat a meal in peace, in public.  Plus, even though I shouldn't care, I feel bad for the other patrons because I'm pretty sure they don't want to spend their dinner time listening to my child throwing a fit.  When the food came out, he was a angel...of course.  JJ loves to eat.  You'd never be able to tell with his little toothpick legs.  He had mozzarella sticks, French fries, grilled cheese, and some crackers.  I tried to eat as quick as possible, because if he finished before me, then I'd end up having to take my food home and eat it later.  Sigh.

JJ at TGIF
 

The whole week she was here, he acted like that.    In public AND at home.  This is odd for him, because for the most part he is very well behaved when we are home.  Maybe he was just scared.  I don't know.  My sister left this past Thursday, and much to my relief, JJ is back to his normal.

Now for some good news.  Well, maybe.

We don't have cable.  Its very expensive and we are too busy to watch TV most of the time anyway.  We do however, have Netflix which we watch through the Wii.  I try not to let JJ watch a lot of TV.  Maybe like an hour or 2 a day.   We always put the same cartoon on for him in the mornings while he eats his breakfast and waits for his therapy to start.   Its the Leapfrog Alphabet Farm.  It has the green dog named Scout in it.  Well, we played it every morning for months.  They pretty much have songs for the alphabet and vowels, and display an animal for each letter of the alphabet.   
Actually, before I finish what I was going to say about that, about a month ago, my boyfriend bought one of those puzzle piece play mats for the floor.   Our baby was starting to crawl and we didn't want him hurting himself on our wood floors.   He decided to buy the cheapest one, which had the alphabet.  A letter in each puzzle piece.  Well, the letters pop out of the puzzle pieces, and in the wrong hands (JJ's) can make a mess.  Letters all over the house and a useless mat is what came out of that purchase.   Needless to say, the baby never got to use the mat.

Ok, back to my story.....a few days ago, I put the cartoon on for JJ.  I was sitting on the couch not really paying him too much mind.  I was in my own little world.   I notice though after awhile, that he keeps running in and out of the room.   I'm wondering "what is this child up to now?"  He comes in holding the letter L (from the mat).   I look up at the cartoon and they had just finished going through the letter L.   I'm like "Ok, just a coincidence. How funny."  Next thing I know he's searching through the house again.  (these letters are under our bed, in his room, just mixed up everywhere) He comes running back in with the letter S just as they were getting to the S.    After that he didn't get anymore letters.  So I basically chalked it up to coincidence.
Next day, same thing but different letters.   I told my boyfriend, and he was like "I know.  He's smart as hell.  I told you there ain't nothing wrong with that boy." 
The same day JJ came up to me making the S sound and the K sound a few times.  Again, I didn't think much of it.  Just him babbling.
Last night, I put the cartoon on for him.  I'm sitting on the floor watching him dance to their songs.  Next thing you know, they are doing their alphabet song.   When it gets to B, he makes the B sound.  When it got to K, he made the K sound.  When it got to S, he made the S sound.   It was only those letters, but it was clear and very intentional.  I'm not gonna lie, I almost pissed my pants.   It just hit me hard that, even though he doesn't speak, that he is soaking in all this information.  He's probably a genius LOL.   Today he didn't watch TV but he did make some sounds again.  Not his usual babble, but sounds.   Every time he makes them, he comes up to me, looks me in the eye and makes them.   Like he is trying to tell me something.  I wish I knew what he was trying to say. 

It might sound like something small, but it was a HUGE deal.   To me, it feels like he may say a word soon.  If he does, I may just piss my pants and faint.  Not necessarily in that order.

Oh, and my daughter is graduating Kindergarten tomorrow :)
It's been a great week!


No comments:

Post a Comment